Welcome to MSC Juniors and Youth
Who are we?
We are a parent- and volunteer-run group who aim to introduce children and young adults (from 6 to 18) to sailing in a safe and relaxed environment. Whilst we do not run specific ‘Learn to sail’ courses we will teach absolute beginners to sail and advance them in confidence and skill so they can competently race against other juniors and adults. Young sailors can also complete RYA achievement levels assessed by the MSC’s senior instructors.
When do we meet?
Every Saturday from 10.00 am until 12.15 pm.
Registration 10.00 am in the club room kitchen.
Briefing 10.30 in the club room.
We also have regular parents meeting to keep things running smoothly.
How do we work?
Each junior has three taster sessions free of charge. After this we hope the junior will become a member of the club (£10 joining fee and £36 p/a per junior then £2 per session) and join in the fun whenever they want. Application forms are available at registration.
Our Saturday morning sessions can only take place due to the hard work of a dedicated group of unpaid volunteers. But it is expected that all sailors and parents give assistance whenever help is required. Guidance and training for parents will be given throughout. Please do not attempt to rig or launch boats without training from a MSC instructor.
Children under 14 must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times. Children over 14 can be left unaccompanied at the discretion of the club, but we ask that a Medical Consent form is completed in case of accident.
What do I need to bring?
For your comfort and safety, you will be required to bring the following items of clothing:
Wetsuit boots or old trainers. Don’t bring your new expensive trainers as they will get wrecked! Old running shoes or wetsuit shoes/boots with a grip are ideal.
Warm Clothing. Fleece material is ideal, along with layers, i.e. a couple of t-shirts and a sweatshirt. Old jogging bottoms are suitable or anything else that’s warm and easy to dry.
A change of clothes/shoes to go home in!
For wet weather: Waterproof Jacket and Trousers. You can pick up a reasonably priced cagoule or lightweight waterproof jacket and trousers fairly easily.
Hat and Gloves. It’s worth investing in some wetsuit gloves for protection, but an ordinary pair of gloves (preferably not woolly) will add some protection.
MSC changing rooms and hot showers are available.
From mid November through to the start of April no child or adult may sail without winter sailing gear (i.e. wetsuit). For Summer months remember sunscreen & hats.
Buoyancy aids are provided by the club. A safety boat, fully manned will be in attendance at all times.
- Young Sailors and Parents are considered to be guests of Midland Sailing Club for the Initial Taster Sessions (maximum 3 sessions). Thereafter, it is a requirement of the Club rules, that each young sailor becomes a member of Midland Sailing Club (£10 joining fee then £36 p/a).
- Each young Sailor remains the responsibility of the parent throughout the session, except when under direct supervision of an Instructor either on shore or on the water.
- Parents are considered guests of the Midland Sailing Club for the duration of each session only.
- Information for Parents who wish to learn to sail themselves and/or become full members can be found on the Club Website.
- The Club operates a “Child Safe” Policy.