Following the developments in Government advice about COVID-19, we are updating members on the response of the club.
The Committee of Management’s focus must be on our responsibilities to members, visitors and staff. In consultation with Sailing Committee we have decided the following:
The Committee and the Midland Sailing Club Covid-19 Task Force have been working to enable recreational sailing again, in consultation with the City Council and the local police. We are delighted to say that recreational sailing is now possible, within a set of rules that need to be followed:
- If you have symptoms or belong to a high-risk group, please stay at home.
- The changing rooms and the club room have now been opened. In the changing rooms please follow the one-way-system, stick to the marked-up areas, and place your bag on the central bench when finished. The showers remain closed.
- Please wash your hands on entering the site. There will be no safety boat cover, so please only sail if the wind strength is appropriate for your abilities
- Please observe social distancing and keep 2m away from other people at all times.
- We have designated rigging bays marked out in front of the club house; these allow you to rig your boat while keeping your distance. Further (unmarked) areas are the area behind the container (1 space), the three grass patches between rows of boats further down, and one space in front of the race box. Please keep all other spaces clear.
- The capacity of the club grounds is about 9 boats rigging at any given time. Sailing in double handers is now possible with relevant risk assessment (see separate news item on this for details). If there are more boats being used (eg for racing), please keep the required distance.
- Club equipment can be used, but has to be cleaned with soapy water afterwards.
- Club boats: these should be hosed down
- Club buoyancy aids and wetsuits: these need to be put in the big blue barrel of soapy water after use
- The bar will be open after racing, but numbers in the lounge area will be limited. Please observe signage on the door regarding numbers and use the club room if the lounge area is full.
- If you have any further questions, please email COVID-19 enquirers and we will try to answer as soon as we can.
These rules will be reviewed in light of experience and changes to the framework set out by the Govenment and RYA.
Further updates on club matters will be forthcoming as the situation evolves.
Midland Sailing Club