How we work
Starting as a junior at Midland Sailing Club
Each junior has three taster sessions free of charge. After this, we hope the junior will become a member of the club (£11.00 joining fee and £48 p/a per junior then £2 per session) and join in the fun whenever they want. Application forms are available at registration.
Children under 14 must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times. Children over 14 can be left unaccompanied at the discretion of the club, but we ask that a Medical Consent form is completed in case of accident.
Our Saturday morning sessions can only take place due to the hard work of a dedicated group of unpaid volunteers. But it is expected that all sailors and parents give assistance whenever help is required. The juniors themselves are expected to rig their own boats and to put them away afterwards. Parents and juniors will be given guidance from instructors. Please do not attempt to rig or launch boats without training from a MSC instructor, please ask for help if you are unsure.
Please arrive at the club no later than 9.30am and register upstairs, juniors should then pay any subs before getting changed. The junior will then attend a briefing about the morning’s session plans before rigging boats. Any child near the water should wear a buoyancy aid whether they intend to sail or not. Juniors should not go on the water before the safety boat is launched.
Please de-rig and put away boats and any borrowed buoyancy aids before getting changed out of sailing kit.
What do I need to bring?
For your comfort and safety, you will be required to bring the following items of clothing:
Wetsuit boots or old trainers. Don’t bring your new expensive trainers as they will get wrecked! Old running shoes or wetsuit shoes/boots with a grip are ideal.
- Warm clothing. Fleece material is ideal, along with layers, i.e. a couple of t-shirts and a sweatshirt. Old jogging bottoms are suitable or anything else that’s warm and easy to dry.
- A change of clothes/shoes to go home in!
- For wet weather, waterproof jacket and trousers. You can pick up a reasonably priced cagoule or lightweight waterproof jacket and trousers fairly easily.
- Hat and gloves. It’s worth investing in some wetsuit gloves for protection, but an ordinary pair of gloves (preferably not woolly) will add some protection.
- Midland Sailing Club changing rooms and hot showers are available
From mid November through to the start of April no child may sail without winter sailing gear (i.e. wetsuit). For summer months remember sunscreen and hats.
Buoyancy aids are provided by the club and must worn on or near the water. A safety boat, fully manned will be in attendance at all times.
|MSC Commodore – Adam Maclean
|MSC Training School Principal – Oliver Mason Email: email@example.com|
|Parents’ Committee Chair – Adam Maclean
|Junior Sailing Co-ordinator – Mike Homer
|Juniors Secretary – Nancy Gudgeon
|Junior & Youth Coach – Richard Dee
0121 681 0692 / 07866 082587
|Registration/Treasurer – John Couperthwaite
|Welfare officer – Mike Colles
- Young sailors and parents are considered to be guests of Midland Sailing Club for the Initial Taster Sessions (maximum 3 sessions). Thereafter, it is a requirement of the Club rules, that each young sailor becomes a member of Midland Sailing Club (£11 joining fee then £48 p/a) plus £2 per Saturday Session. Each young sailor remains the responsibility of the parent throughout the session, except when under direct supervision of an instructor either on shore or on the water.
- Parents are considered guests of the Midland Sailing Club for the duration of each session only.
- Information for parents who wish to learn to sail themselves and/or become full members can be found here.
Child protection policy
- The Club operates a “Child Protection Policy” Please refer to the Training Manual which is available in the clubroom to all members and visitors. Please ask one of the instructors if you would like to look at it.
- Should you have any concerns or questions please see the club’s welfare or assistant welfare officers.